Old 02-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Steve J. Noll

Default waterlilies and their pots

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 01:49:54 -0600, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
.. .
suggestions

I use 18-inch diameter 7-inch deep plastic pots from Home Depot.
No holes.

## Ok, this is what I was asking - do the hardy lilies thrive in a solid pot
or perhaps one with only one bottom hole. I wasn't sure if their roots
needed more water circulation than a solid wall pot allowed. I can look for
these pots at my Home Depot here in TN. I already have a few I used as
planters for the porch last summer. :-)

I want to minimize fertilizer leaching into the water which will in
turn feed algae. So, my pots have no holes. Water circulation around
the roots is not necessary. This doesn't mean that you can't use a
basket with holes, or one made of mesh. Many approaches will work.

I've heard that hardy lilies want large diameter shallow
pots. Last season I used the Schultz Aquatic soil - it's like a
ceramic and is perfectly clean. I'm getting ready to re-pot now and
will be using a mix of that, composted steer manure, and a little 'Koi
Clay'.

## What is koi clay? Our native clay grows beautiful water lilies. I add
some rose fertilizer sticks and Ironite to the potting soil (clean clay from
our own land). I try and do them every year because they grow so rapidly.
I hope to take new pics for my website this coming summer, now that I have a
digital camera and better photo processing software.

Koi Clay is a supplement that some fish keepers add to their pond
water. It is usually in the form of a very fine powder and is a
source of many minerals. It is also known as calcium montmorillonite
and calcium bentonite. Do a Google seach for this somewhat over-hyped
product.

Clay soil seems to be popular, but I don't have access to
any. I tried aKwatik fertilizers last year but found they clogged too
easily. Making my own this year.

## What clogged too easily? Your filter????

The aKwatiks themselves. I feel that basically their diameter is too
small. I even tried experiments with different brands of lily tabs to
find the one that dissolved the most completely, but it still clogged
the aKwatik.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California

--
Carol...