Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Kay Easton

Default citrus questions

In article , email@stephenor
me.freeserve.co.uk writes

I am not sure if mine have grafts either. Are citrus plants grafted or
not? Some posts here seem to suggest they are (like the orange that
grew a lemon) but other posts seem to contradict this. I looked at a
grapefruit in the garden centre and compared it with the leaves
growing on mine and the leaves seem the same. The leaves are almost
like two leaves in one: a figure 8 shape if you like. There is a small
leaf at the stem end out of which grows a much bigger leaf. So I am
hoping the leaves are of the same variety, which would imply no
grafting. If I am lucky enough to get fruit, may be then I will find
out.

The leaves wouldn't tell you anything about whether there's a graft. The
idea of grafting is that you basically make use of the roots of what you
are grafting on, but you don't let it produce shoots and leaves,
otherwise the greater vigour of the rootstock means that it will take
over. So - the only leaves you get on a grafted plant will be those of
what you have grafted.

Unless, of course it has been neglected, in which case you may have
shoots coming up from the base with different leaves - this is what
happens with roses - you get suckers thrown from the base which have the
smaller leaflets of the dog rose or whatever has been used as a
rootstock. Let these grow, and eventually your rose will die off and
you'll be left with a flourishing dog rose.

You can see a graft because it leaves a lumpy part of the stem where the
graft has taken place, either low down, or, in the case of a weeping
standard, at the top of the upright stem.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: