Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 PM
martin

Default Hops?

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:18:56 -0000, "Mike Crossland"
wrote:

There have been a few interesting hop varieties available to brewers
including would you believe, 'Long Square Garlic'. Still the best two
varieties for me are Fuggles and Goldings, or, depending on the
type of beer your friend wishes to make, a mixture of both.
If your friend wants a beer with aroma, he should choose Goldings.
Hop amounts vary with the type of beer. For a good bitter with lots of
character, use 1 1/2oz of Goldings to the gallon.

It's what the Blacksheep Brewery in Masham uses, so they must o.k. :-)
I do recommend a conducted tour of the brewery, if you are in the
area.

I wish your friend luck with his hops and beer, and now wonder why
I have never thought of growing my own.

We had some growing wild in the garden years ago
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad