Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Hops?

The message n6Z0c.2523$zu.1929@newsfe1-win
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

Might be OK - I've been looking for something to climb up the back of my
house, it's not the best looking back of a house you've ever seen. Could be
just the job! And if it's fast-growing . . . all the better!

Fast growing? I'll say. You can also eat the young shoots - they are
said to be very tasty, treated like asparagus.

Best of luck with the beer. Oh, a word of warning: if you are going to
use any sugar in the brew, check on one of the proprietory beer kits how
much they recommend. ON NO ACCOUNT exceed this as a ratio to the malt
they use, as too great a proportion of sugar in a malt brew will lead to
severe headaches and can kill you.

Blimey . . . I had no idea. Right, I shall watch out for that one!

We've got a really good real ale pub here in Bury . . . I was in there last
night, and had a pint of Ramsbottom Brewery "Windfarmer" - even beer is
going renewable these days. 'Twas a lot better than a brew they had in their
called "Old Disreputable", in any case!

Is it best to grow the hops from seed, or buy a vine from somewhere?

Which Bury? If it's St Edmunds, you could go and dig a seedling out of
the car park behind Diss Woolies....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/