Old 02-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Rod

Default Article on Pruning Roses just added to BexRose Web Site

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:15:45 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

The only question I might have about cutting back canes due
to age is whether that applies to old garden or antique
roses. Many of them seem to have a longer life span than
moderns (due to growing in their own roots??), so I wonder
if the advice about cutting out 4 year old canes should be
conditioned by the type of rose bush.

Other than that the article seems very clear to me,
including all the important information and written very
well.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

I don't know about current nursery practice in your neck of the woods
but here in the UK most roses ancient and modern are grown on
rootstocks rather than on their own roots. I prefer many types of old
and species roses on their own roots because their characteristic
habits are often lost if they are on rootstocks - eg.'rugosas' have a
naturally suckering/thicket forming habit which they lose if on a
rootstock. So you need to check with your supplier or grow your own if
you want them on their own roots.
You're quite right about pruning for older roses and shrub/species
roses - their habits vary widely so you need to do a bit of research
on those. Many only need minimal pruning and usually not every year.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply