Old 03-03-2004, 04:08 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default Did the fish survive the winter..

"Howard" wrote in message
I happy to say that all my fish are down there moving around, slowly, but
moving, one of the smaller fish even came close to the surface while I was
adjusting the airline.

============================
Last winter we didn't lose one fish in any of the ponds or the small
kiddy-pools (150 gallons). This winter I found 1 dead goldfish during a cold
snap. The smaller pond and pools didn't lose any.

Today I cleaned out one of these small 150 gallon kiddy-pools I use to grow
water plants in because it smelled bad and the water had gone black. Ugh!
It was disgusting. And what do I find after I remove the pack of plants - 5
half grown healthy goldfish! How did they ever survive the foul water and
tangle of iris roots? There was a dead smelly bloated bullfrog in there
with them and a mass of rotted leaves. The 5 fish are in a nice clean pool
tonight with freshly replanted iris.

Also found a fat 6" salamander in one of the pools. He'll be returned to
the pool tomorrow when I add a few plants for him to hide in - and the
chlorine dissipates.

At sundown we heard the first spring peeper from across the fence in the
neighbor's stock pond. Spring is on the way.....
--
Carol...
My website: