Old 03-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Don

Default Raising seedlings

Jeremy Lunn wrote:
Also how important is it to space the seeds apart?

It really depends on what they are and how good you are at separating
them when they need it.

For example we currently have callistemon seeds doing well in small
punnets. Same with strawberries. They were sown very close to each other
which means that the stongest have developed a lot quicker and are ready
to be transplanted. This will give the rest some more room too.

Separating them however can be a delicate operation.

Or should they just
be scattered and then separated as they are more mature and ready for
planting?

You can do that. See above.

If you are sowing very small seeds you can mix them with sand and use a
seed dispenser to get a more sparse sowing area.

How about watering and feeding? I have a little trigger sprayer that
cost 73 cents at kmart, though if I do this more often I think I may
need a pressure sprayer.

That is fine until germination. Then you will want to water them from
the bottom up. That is where a seed raising tray can be good because you
can just plonk them all in a tray of water and let them soak. Some even
advocate leaving them in a tray of water all the time (there is a
specific name for this type of seed propagation but the name escapes me
at the moment). I'm not sure about this though.

Once they sprout, what do I feed them with?

That all depends on what was in your seed raising mix. But generally a
fish based fert is what I use, once germination is well established.

Cheers
Don