Old 03-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Gail Futoran

Default support for roses

"Sandy" wrote in message
Any ideas on supporting a very large,heavy Ceile Brunner

climbing rose? The
wood lattice that it was growing on broke and had to be

taken down. Now the
rose, which is growing next to my wooden garden shed, is

bent over in an arc
to the ground. Should I trim it (I'd hate to cut back all

those years of
growth) and train the new branches upward? If so, what can

I use for
support? Thanks for any advice. S

One idea is to make a trellis out of re-bar. A frequent
member here (although I haven't seen his posts lately), Bob
Bauer, has at various times posted detailed descriptions.
If you go to google groups, search on this newsgroup and his
name or the subject "re-bar" over the past couple of years,
you should be able to find his posts.
http://groups.google.com/

HTH - Gail