Old 23-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Robert O'Brien

Default [IBC] more winter concerns

Hey folks...o.k...so now these freezing temps in the northeast are beginning
to worry me ! mostly I am worried about my training bed...its a raised
one, about a foot deep...waited too long and never mulched it in this year
!...not too concerned about the larch or junipers in there but i've got one
japanese white pine graft that is in there for its first winter. Temps
have been consistently below freezing for weeks now...although the bed does
have about a foot and a half of snow on it and that must help? any thoughts
? also concerned about a couple trees in the cold frame...japanese
flowering cherry-variety unknown and an olive...they did fine the last few
years but this is a new cold frame, much bigger( to accomodate collected
material) and they used to be mulched in peat,actually buried. Now they are
only loosely packed in straw. any real need for concern ? temps in cold
frame have been steadily between 10 and 30 degrees. above the mulch.
thanks very much.....sincerely...BobO western Ma. -ccccooold !

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++