Old 03-03-2004, 01:45 PM
jane

Default potatoes

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:51:54 +0100, martin wrote:

~On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:02:27 -0000, "Sue da Nimm"
. wrote:
~
~
wrote in message
. ..
~ Regarding growing in tyres and buckets, what height does the plant
~ eventually grow to? I am wondering how deep the tyres/buckets have to
~ be.
~We use builders buckets from Wickes, at 89p each
~
~Made out of recycled Spanish tyres!
~
~and rotate these to provide
~new potatoes all year.
~A few holes in the bottom of the buckets will prevent hubby from pinching
~them to wash the car...
~If you can get hold of some seaweed add a bit to each bucket - I have no
~idea why, but it transforms the flavour of the spuds.
~Yields are lower than garden-grown (which is where the rest of the bag go)
~but the flavour and texture are devine.
~
~ I presume that you plant one per tyre/bucket? I have seen potatoes
~ sold in 1kg bags in the garden centre. If I plant one per bucket, I'm
~ going to need a lot of buckets! Or is it like buying a pack of 500
~ seeds: you don't use all of them at once?
~
~We often "chit" spuds bought for consumption from the greengrocer and plant
~those rather than seed potatoes.
~One of the best results came from a bag of Tesco Value spuds!
~
~Which type of potato do supermarkets sell as baking potatoes?

Usually Estima or Marfona. I'm growing Estima this year because of
this. (2nd earlies). I have some 'proper' seed potatoes plus one of
the supermarket ones that sneaked behind the microwave when I wasn't
looking and started to chit on its own so I shall see if it makes a
difference.

For bucket-grown spuds, it's best to use first earlies. I'm growing
Accent.

I must add at this point this is only my second year of spud growing!

--
jane

Mark Twain