Old 03-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Rusty Hollyhocks

"Fleemo" wrote in message
m...
Strolling through my garden today, I discovered that my young
hollyhocks *already* have signs of rust. I had to battle rust last
year in this spot. What can I do to help my hollyhocks?

-Fleemo

Unfortunately, rusts are some of the most difficult of fungal problems to
control. and hollyhocks are extremely prone to it. If you see indications of
the rust already, it is too late to spray and the effectiveness of chemical
controls is extremely limited anyway. You have a couple of options - remove
and destroy the plants or live with it. Removing the affected foliage
(typically the bottom leaves) will slow the development of the pathogen.
Plant something low and fluffy to fill the area at the bare base of the
plants. The disease seldom advances far enough to affect blooming. Hollyhock
rust is specific to hollyhocks and other members of that family (Malvaceae).
Make sure other susceptible species are planted well away from the affected
plants.

pam - gardengal