Old 03-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Question about growing Herbs in Pots

On 03 Mar 2004 13:50:18 GMT, Holka smyslna@holkaDOTnospamDOTnet
wrote:

I'm new to the whole gardening thing and want to grow herbs for cooking
purposes. I don't have a garden and so am planning on growing them from
seed in pots on the balcony.

The main herbs I've thought of growing are Parsley, Thyme, Corriander,
Mint, Basil and Rosemary although I'm sure others would be useful.

I really have no idea about this - how many seeds of each should I put in
pots of which sizes? which ones are annual and which pezrennial? which can
I put in pots together (and how)? etc. etc.

You may have to buy more than one book. :-)

Corriander (cilantro) is a short-lived annual. Goes to seed quickly in
hot weather.

Basil is a frost-tender annual. It likes lots of sun and warm
temperatures.

Parsely is a biennial -- grows leaves the first season, then flowers
and goes to seed the second.

Mint is a perennial, and invasive. Will grow in shadier spots than
most herbs.

Thyme and rosemary are perennials, 'though rosemary is a bit picky
about extreme cold.

There are thousands of herb sites on the web. For info on simply
growing them, search with:

herb-name cultivation

or

herb-name germination

Combinations? Up to you. Here's a site you might find interesting:

http://stlucie.ifas.ufl.edu/FYN/A%20...b%20Garden.htm