Old 03-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Keith Dancey

Default Preventing regrowth of horsetails.

In article , "Franz Heymann" writes:

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

We have a rather nasty patch of horsetails which has crept under our
boundary fence from the jungle next-door.

The main problem part is about 3m x 5m where the 'tails sprout from
the gaps inbetween our patio slabs. The gaps are only 1-3mm wide.

This year, I am trying to be better prepared for our annual battle
with these monsters. I was wondering if there is any chemical or
weedkiller that I can pour liberally down these gaps that may hinder
the growth of the 'tails when spring comes around.

They are also in the lawn but keeping the grass short masks them quite
well.

Thanks for any advice!

Try Sodium Chlorate. But remember that it is a *total* weedkiller.
Chlorate, not chloride

Beware - Sodium Chlorate is a fire hazard. It will kill everything, but
the roots of horsetail have been measured to extend 30 metres deep in a
sandy quarry! Ordinarily, I think the root system will be both too deep
and too extensive for sodium chlorate to work completely, and if the
sodium chlorate travels with the water table or runoff water, it could
kill well away from the patio area, unintentionally.

However, it may well be worth considering. Has anyone any experience of
using sodium chlorate against horsetail? It would help if we could get
some "hands-on" feedback... I have never dared use it.

Cheers,

keith

---
Iraq: 5 thousand million pounds, 60 lives, and counting...
The Politicians will now seek to blame the Spooks.