Old 03-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Kae Verens

Default seeds

I am tired of buying seeds from shops. My main goal with gardening was to get away from the evil that is "money", yet all gardening projects seem to begin with buying seeds and bulbs.

I have managed to grow potatos and garlics from previous years' crops, and would like to continue this trend with other species. I will be trying some courgette seeds I saved from a marrow last year, but am interested in other plants, like onions, carrots,
etc.

The problem? Most books give absolutely no information about this. Onions, for example - I have found very good advice on growing them from seed to edible vegetable, but nothing beyond that.

In fact, most books I have seem to think that a vegetable is useless once it has gone "to seed" (which is never exlpained).

So - My question is: how (and when, and how much, etc) do I save the seeds from one year to the next of the major species?

Kae