Old 23-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] more winter concerns

I am worried about my training bed...its a raised one, about a foot
deep...waited too long and never mulched it in this year
i've got one japanese white pine graft that is in there for its first
winter. Temps
have been consistently below freezing for weeks now...although the bed does
have about a foot and a half of snow on it and that must help?
a couple trees in the cold frame...japanese flowering cherry-variety unknown
and an olive...they did fine the last few years but this is a new cold frame,
much bigger( to accomodate collected material) and they used to be mulched in
peat,actually buried. Now they are only loosely packed in straw. any real need
for concern ? temps in cold
frame have been steadily between 10 and 30 degrees. above the mulch.
western Ma.

You are probably in Zone 5, perhaps Zone 6. I would put a rose cone over the
Japanese pine. The snow cover is fine, but don't depend on it entirely. By
olive, do you mean Olea europaea? In Zone 5 it is considered a subtropical
indoor tree. If that is what you have, it has had enough of a rest and should
be indoors in an unheated bedroom or under fluorescent lights.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885