Old 03-03-2004, 11:26 PM
D Russell

Default Compost or peat

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Unfortunately the alternatives do not seem to perform as well as peat, so
most compost, Gro Bags etc. are still AFAIK peat based.

The alternatives are becoming more numerous and are improving. I use New
Horizon peat free, which has performed quite well in tests, and does OK
for me. Nice to handle, too.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

On a similar note, the one replacement I would like to see is a reliable
peat replacement for carnivorous plants. I have several Sundews, Pitcher
plants, and Venus fly traps, which could do with potting on. The idea of
buying the 70l bag of pure peat is abhorrent to me, I simply don't want to,
even thoug it is only a few pounds.

So does anybody know if any of the peat replacements are adequate for bog
based carnivorous plants ?

I have found a cheap source of sedge peat, but I find it difficult to
believe that this would be nutrient free like the bog peat, though I haven't
checked online yet

Cheers
Duncan