Old 03-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Kay Easton

Default sick apple tree

In article , Emery Davis
writes
Hello,

We've got a 'grise de canada' (canada grey in english I suppose)
apple tree, that I'm a little undecided as to whether to yank
and replace or stick with a little longer. It's a half high
graft, and the bark around the base of the trunk is gone
except for a perhaps 3 inch strip. Nibbled by rabbits when
young, maybe. In spite of this the trunk and graft look
healthy enough, but the branches, after decent budding and
a few flowers, show only very small leaves that quickly dry
out and fall. They sometimes resprout, but never vigourously;
there is some branch dieback. Further, last year there was
a large growth of oyster-type (looking, anyway, I didn't try
further identification) mushrooms sprouting from the base.

We haven't seen an apple from it in about 3 years, it's been
in about 10.

My tendency is to call for the neighbor's tractor, and pull
it out.

If it were me, I'd get rid of it, on the grounds that fungi don't
usually attack healthy trees, and that fungus is an indication that it's
on its way out.

You could try grafting it if you're keen on the variety.

I wouldn't have thought you'd need a tractor. I've just removed an 8
year old tree.

It probably isn't best to replant in the same place, but if you have to,
dig a *huge* hole and fill it with fresh soil before planting.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: