Old 03-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default sick apple tree

The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:

Unfortunately because it's in a little orchard, any
replacement pretty much has to go in the same place...
Would that be a problem? Any opinions on the viability
of this tree? TIA.

If it has some sort of bracket fungus infection, it will almost
certainly die. I'd cut all the roots so the fungus can't travel along
them and infect other fruit trees' roots they come into contact with,
and get your farmer friend to pull it out ASAP.

I'd then treat heavily the ground with Armatillox and then again, and
again. I wouldn't plant its successor this year.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/