Old 04-03-2004, 04:03 AM
OhSojourner

Default Raspberries

Janice wrote:

On 03 Mar 2004 21:46:01 GMT, (OhSojourner) wrote:

I love raspberries and black raspberries, but unfortunately, my yard has

history of being occupied by the types of plants you're not supposed to

plant
them near (i.e. wild brambles, members of the nightshade family, etc.)

In fact,
I bought a pack of 3 last year from Miller Nurseries, but they didn't make

it
through the winter (thinking I had covered them over with too much mulch

or
something).

From what I understand, the problem is mostly with certain soil-borne viruses
and funguses. And if so, would it be correct in presuming it might still

be
possible to grow them successfully if they were planted in containers or

raised
beds, using newly purchased, sterile garden mix?

The diseases are spread by sucking insects mostly. At least in my
area. The red raspberries are the most tolerant of the diseases, the
others .. the "colored" raspberries, and blackcaps..which I LOVE, are
more susceptible.

Would those insects be repelled by certain insect-repelling plants like
marigolds or pennyroyal? Has anyone successfully used these plants to protect
their crops?

Can black raspberries be grown in containers? I've heard that Heritage red
raspberries do well container-bound, but haven't found much info on black
raspberries. (One possibility might be planting them in tubs on my upper-floor
deck to maximize distance from the other plants as well as get the most sun
exposure).