Old 04-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Pennsylvania- Foraging for a Bonsai

Mike,

Collecting a tree is not at all that easy. You have
to dig up a tree that has some of those tiny feeder
roots to keep it alive. Sometines those are deep
enough that you think you might dig to China. Then
you have to treat your collected plant carefully for a
few years, developing new feeder roots. You need to
plant it in a pot larger than a bonsai pot for at
least a year. If if survives, then you can think
about your found tree becoming a bonsai.

Kitsune Miko
--- Mike wrote:
Hi All,

I have the opportunity to go out of the city into
the western
Pennsylvania or the pocono's as they call it. I
wanted to look for a
good bonsai tree to fit the nice Bonsai pot I have.
I am going to be
looking for something with a nice, thick trunk, and
not something that
is a stick in the mud Anyone have any suggestions
on what makes a
good bonsai tree out here in PA? Any pictures of
what grows around here
on the web? Also any techniques on how to do this?
For example root
pruning and such....

I was told just to grab a shovel, dig the plant up,
put it in a wet
sack, get it home, root prune it and put it in a
pot. A root pruning
guide would be great.

I was told to grab the John Naka's book because it
was like the bonsai's
bible but due to financial difficulties i wont be
able to purchase it
for at least another month. So can anyone give me
some directions on how
to root prune, hopefully with pictures.

Thanks

Mike.