Old 04-03-2004, 09:46 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Pennsylvania- Foraging for a Bonsai

Mike,

Kitsune's advice is good. Please make certain that you aren't breaking
the law first. It is illegal to collect without permission from most
places.

If you have got/can get permission. I would strongly suggest that on
your first attempt you go for a few smaller, sapling types of tree. They
are much easier to dig and will give you a chance to learn how to keep
things alive. This will also help you to find out what is available and
what takes to being bonsaied.

You can still go for plants that have the basic characteristics that
will _eventually_ make them good bonsai. An attractive trunk line and
well placed roots are the main elements to look for. Once you have the
funds available to get hold of John Naka's book(s) you will see that
there is a lot more to it than you thought. Bonsai is never about
immediate results and patience is an integral part of the joy.

Take it easy, learn all that you can and welcome to this absorbing
artistic pastime.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales