Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default strawberry help!

"NAearthMOM" wrote in message
Hi! I would love to hear from someone that does well with strawberry
plants. Mine NEVER make more than a few berries.
THANKS! Btw I am in zone 6b.

Love caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Caryn , IME strawberries need a rich, fertile soil in lots of sun with
regular irrigation. Add compost in quantity! Look for everbearing varieties
suited for your area rather than just the June bearing forms - berries will
be a bit smaller, but very plentiful over a long season. Here, I'd
recommend Tristar or Quinault, but they tend to be NW forms and perhaps not
the best choice for you. Also, strawberry pots are a waste of time - plant
them in mounded rows directly into the garden and be sure to protect from
marauding birds and other wildlife!

good luck,
pam - gardengal