Old 04-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Gail Futoran

Default just curious

"torgo" wrote in message
I have a few bushes that didn't winter well this year.

They have one
healthy looking cane apiece, and the other canes are dead.

Before I relocate them to the top of the compost pile, I

thought I'd
see how the gang here handles such cases. Do you try to

nurse them
back to full health, or do you prefer to simply replace

them?

That seems to be a personal preference. I tend to nurse
roses along until they die; others shovel prune (replace)
any rose that doesn't measure up to their standards.

If the rose is easy to replace (not a rare or expensive
rose), then maybe your best bet is to simply replace the
weak roses and hope the new copies do better.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8