Old 04-03-2004, 03:05 PM
dave weil

Default support for roses

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:48:36 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

I'll second that one! (the coffee!). Ha. But, seriously, thanks for your
advice. When I bought the Ceile Brunner, I didn't realize it would grow so
large and heavy or I wouldn't have made the mistake of using a flimsy wooden
lattice for the support.
My CB rose only blooms once although I've read that they often bloom a
second time near the fall. How about yours? Thanks again. Sandy

Mine stays in bloom almost the whole season (with some periods of rest
of course). I even have photos of blooms in November!

I hope you decide to leave the bulk of it the way it is (well, hope
isn't the right word). I just think that having such a huge base would
make a *really* impressive mass of plant, and you could *still* grow
upward.

In fact, that's what I'm guessing is going to happen with mine in a
few years. Mine is growing up a dead fairly petite sugar maple. I just
worry about the main trunk crashing down on the plant at some point. I
don't want to trim it yet though, because the top branches really
allow the plant to spread out and form a pseudo-canopy.

If you go to this page, you can see some shots. I have a couple of
mid-season shots an early season shot, and a shot of the plant about 2
months after planting two seasons ago. And yes, you can see the
November bloomings. That was in the winter of 2002. last year's
November blooming wasn't all that great.

http://www.pbase.com/teleburst/roses&page=3