Old 04-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Julie Trigg

Default [IBC] Pennsylvania- Foraging for a Bonsai

in article , Craig Cowing at
wrote on 3/4/04 8:09 AM:

Mike wrote:

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to go out of the city into the western
Pennsylvania or the pocono's as they call it. I wanted to look for a
good bonsai tree to fit the nice Bonsai pot I have. I am going to be
looking for something with a nice, thick trunk, and not something that
is a stick in the mud

snip

Sorry, but I have to jump in here. I used to live in that area you are going
and I would not advise a root pruning when you get your tree home. You are
already "root pruning" when you dig it out of the ground. If you get a
maple, for example, you can chop the top down to a few inches and it will
start to pop back all over the stump in a few weeks (but not in a bonsai
pot). Put the tree, with as much native soil as you can manage, into a large
pot and let it be for awhile. Keep it in the shade for the first week, or
so, and then gradually move it into the sun. You will kill some trees (other
than maples) by doing the above.
Julie
Sunny Florida