Old 05-03-2004, 04:23 AM
Steve wachs

Default [IBC] Pennsylvania- Foraging for a Bonsai

In a message dated 3/4/2004 12:30:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

I have the opportunity to go out of the city into the western
Pennsylvania or the pocono's as they call it. I wanted to look for a
good bonsai tree to fit the nice Bonsai pot I have. I am going to be
looking for something with a nice, thick trunk, and not something that
is a stick in the mud Anyone have any suggestions on what makes a
good bonsai tree out here in PA? Any pictures of what grows around here
on the web? Also any techniques on how to do this? For
example root
pruning and such....

The chances of finding a "good" bonsai in the woods are slim. A tree with the right trunk thickness will probably be too tall with branches too high to be suitable for a bonsai pot. you have to be prepared to either collect saplings and let them grow awhi
le, or you will have to cut back a taller tree and train it to branch at a suitable height. either way it will take years.
I have crab apples that I collected from an old orchard 7 years ago. they were young trees that I had to cut way back. they are just starting to look good now.
You won't find the perfect bonsai tree in the woods unless you find the one in a million that was hit by lightning a few times. you would stand a better chance of finding a small tree with a thick trunk in a field that has been worked and trees are consta
ntly hacked. farms are a good places to look.
good luck with your trip.
SteveW
Long Island NY

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++