Old 05-03-2004, 04:44 AM
David Hershey

Default Plant tissue cloning?

Darren Garrison wrote in message . ..
Any good books or web sites with info on cloning plants from smallish tissue samples at home? I'm
interested in trying to clone some rare-ish/expensive-ish venus flytrap and pitcher plant cultivars.
Back in High School, I tried and failed cloning African Violets using one of the educational cloning
kits that were just coming onto the market at the time. I've found references to several "cloning
gel" products (mostly, apparently, on pothead sites). How useful would a product like this:
http://www.hydroponics-garden.com/rootechgel4oz.html be for my purposes? My main worry is getting
bacterial/fungal contamination in the medium-- and this claims to have "antimicrobials" in the
medium.

The cloning gel appears to be for regular size cuttings, not tissue
culture or micropropagation.

There are many books on plant tissue culture and also on carnivorous
plants. Check google.com and amazon.com.

Carnivorous Plant Tissue Culture
http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/tc.htm

There are a lot of carnivorous plant enthusiasts on the internet.

Venus Flytrap Mutants
http://hometown.aol.com/lulibybb/vftm.html

International Carnivorous Plant Society
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/

Tissue culture at home is challenging because unless you have
thousands of dollars to spend, you have to make do without a laminar
flow hood or build one yourself. You can substitute a pressure cooker
for an autoclave to sterilize media and glassware.