Old 05-03-2004, 05:12 AM
B & J

Default Why do you garden?

"David Hill" wrote in message
As I plod through the mud yet again to get to various parts of my garden,
some torn up by the Foxes looking for the moles that are destroying what

was
once quite a good lawn, tripping over brambles that put out shoots of

around
20 ft last year (My arthritis meant that some got away) I ask my self why

do
I garden?

snip
David Hill

I garden because it adds so much to life in the form of new growth, color,
and enjoyment. I enjoy starting, and planting new annuals, perennials, and
shrubs, and it's a challenge to root and grow a cutting from shrubs, or
perennials obtained from a friend. Yes, I often grouse and grumble when the
old bones creak and groan after a day in the yard pruning, composting,
mulching, weeding, and planting, but the exercise does keep the oil in the
old bones greased. Gardening gets me outside because pride will not allow me
to let my yard turn into a jungle except in selected areas where jungle
provides nurture for birds, bees, butterflies, and encouraged wildlife (deer
not included ).

I love sharing produce from my vegetable garden with friends and neighbors,
and it's a real ego booster when strangers stop, ring my doorbell and ask
if they may tour my yard, and real estate salespeople use my home as an area
showplace.

John