Old 05-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Kae Verens

Default more garlic questions

harry411 wrote:
Greetings all my question is my garlic
plants are covered with 6" of straw
they are starting to pop out of the straw
should I remove the straw or leave it for
weed control. thanks

Harry

zone 6 new york
18 days till spring

I wonder if I should have done that. I planted my garlic in september,
and they're growing alright, but I wonder if the mulch idea provides
"better" garlic?

Luckily, I've had very little problems with weeds since I started with
my raised beds. The weeds I had beforehand were mostly root-spreading,
and the pathways cut their propogation down amazingly quickly.

Is it general advice to mulch garlic? If so, how soon after planting?
Should I wait for the garlic to start shooting? Is straw the preferred
mulch, or could I use organic kitchen waste (as a short-cut to
composting) covered by wood shavings?

Kae