Old 05-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Emery Davis

Default sick apple tree

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:42:43 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades said:

] The message
] from Emery Davis contains these words:
]
] Unfortunately because it's in a little orchard, any
] replacement pretty much has to go in the same place...
] Would that be a problem? Any opinions on the viability
] of this tree? TIA.
]
] If it has some sort of bracket fungus infection, it will almost
] certainly die. I'd cut all the roots so the fungus can't travel along
] them and infect other fruit trees' roots they come into contact with,
] and get your farmer friend to pull it out ASAP.
]
] I'd then treat heavily the ground with Armatillox and then again, and
] again. I wouldn't plant its successor this year.
]

Thanks Kay, Janet, Rusty for the advice. I'll probably go with the "really big
hole" approach, as I've never seen Armatillox here, and indeed it appears
to be being withdrawn for sale in the EU (at least temporarily) anyway.

I'll probably try Janet's method for removal before calling for the tractor,
although I've got a huge (and dead) douglas fir that's got to come out
anyway; no doing that one by hand! Not in the garden proper though:
it fell in a windstorm last winter, I tried to replant elsewhere, (talk about digging
a huge hole), but then it died in the heat and drought last summer. So the
tractor will have to come, but maybe the ruts can be avoided.

Rusty, what exactly is a "bracket infection", if you please? Perhaps my poor
command of english, but as I am american maybe you'll forgive me that much!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to