Old 05-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Preventing regrowth of horsetails.

The message

| I used to buy beer at 1/- a pint.
|
| But it didn't kill weeds. (Boom-boom!)

Some of it (e.g. Watney's Gaslight) didn't make you drunk before
your belly filled up, either.

Never heard of that one, but then, I have never considered Watney's even
remotely drinkable.

I heard rumours that a couple of brands were as cheap as they were
because the brewery wasn't taxed on them.

Do you mean the brewery didn't have to pay booze levy because the
content was less than (IIRC) about 2° Proof?

Red Barrel died because Which? Magazine said that if it had been half a
degree less it 'could have been sold over sweetshop counters to
children'.

But that's not really a criterion of quality - I make a very pleasant
beer (boys' beer) which is even weaker than that: two pounds of malt and
four ounces of hops to five gallons of brew.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/