Old 05-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Kay Easton

Default sick apple tree

In article , Emery Davis
writes
Thanks Kay, Janet, Rusty for the advice. I'll probably go with the "really big
hole" approach, as I've never seen Armatillox here, and indeed it appears
to be being withdrawn for sale in the EU (at least temporarily) anyway.

I'll probably try Janet's method for removal before calling for the tractor,
although I've got a huge (and dead) douglas fir that's got to come out
anyway; no doing that one by hand! Not in the garden proper though:
it fell in a windstorm last winter, I tried to replant elsewhere, (talk about
digging
a huge hole), but then it died in the heat and drought last summer. So the
tractor will have to come, but maybe the ruts can be avoided.

Rusty, what exactly is a "bracket infection", if you please? Perhaps my poor
command of english, but as I am american maybe you'll forgive me that much!

Infection by a bracket fungus - one that comes out plate-like from the
side of a tree instead f having a stem.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: