Old 05-03-2004, 04:12 PM
simy1

Default Corn gluten and vegetable beds

(Dataminder) wrote in message m...
I'm making my preparations for spring. I have a decent-sized
herb/vegetable bed, about 15X6 that over the last two growing seasons
has been progressively more infected by bindweed. I can't clear it and
cover it with black plastic to cut out the light and raise the soil
temp like my other veggie beds because I have perennial asparagus,
thyme, savory and a few others. I don't use chemicals and I'd never
use them on food crops.
So, I plan to go over my lawn with corn gluten once the soil
temperature hits 60 to snuff out any transient weed seeds. Does anyone
know whether dosing this bed with gluten at the same would check the
bindweed? (I don't grow from seed in this bed so I'm not concerned

I am as organic as the next guy, but given the situation, would it not
be best for you to just go around the plot with a paintbrush and a
bottle of roundup, and paint a drop or two on a leaf of each bindweed
plant? We are talking about tiny amounts of Roundup. I have had a
bottle for five years, I use it to control poison ivy over two acres,
and it is still 80% full.