Old 05-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Sacha

Default Help with ID of tree / shrub

Charlie Pridham5/3/04 9:26

"Philip" wrote in message
. ..
I pass this tree / shrub regularly. And I would like to learn more about
it. Like its name would be a good starting point. With that in mind, I

put
together a little photo page :

http://www.esher.nildram.co.uk/philip/whattree.htm

The shape of the fruits and their arrangement made me think of Paulownia
tomentosa, but on reading it would seem that the Paulowinia has fluffy

seeds
to be carried by the wind. While the seeds on 'my' tree are between 0.7cm
and 1.5cms long and up to 0.5 cm wide. So definately not dispersed by the
wind.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can point me in the right
direction.

Many thanks

Phil

Right up to the last pic I was certain its a Paulowinia tomentosum but the
seed in the pods of these is fine almost dust like, there are however more
than one species and I have only ever seen P. tomentosum. My money would be
on one of these, especially as it does not seem as big a tree as I would
expect P. tomentosum to be at flowering size.
--

Charlie, I wonder if you did see the very last pic? The seeds are quite
large and there are only two to each pod. What I think you're seeing as