Old 05-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default I am New.

Tiffany Bastian wrote:

...We have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard...

Welcome to New England.

I know we need to get most the rocks out before we seed...

Only if you really want a lawn. And then, you only need to get out the
rocks on the surface. But think what a lawn means: Seed, water, water,
water, water, mow, water, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, weed, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
weed, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
fertilize, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,
mow, mow, mow, etc. (Alternatively, hire a lawn service, pay, pay, pay,
pay...) After all that you have a lawn that looks like all the other
lawns around you.

Since you have a blank slate, consider alternatives to a lawn. You have
rocks. Collect them and make a rock garden with some perennials. Make a
flower garden with some combination of perennials and annuals. (If you
are in a subdivision with a homeowners association with teeth, check
their rules first. For some reason they generally want no
individuality.)

If you have kids, you will probably want some lawn for them, but keep a
buffer of shrubs or hedge between them and the road. If you don't have
kids, what do you need a lawn for? Most people don't use it for anything
other than an occasional cookout. Consider a small (depending on your
lawn) soccer field for the neighborhood: get to know your neighbors and
get some exercise.

Set aside the sunniest spot for flowers and vegetables. There's nothing
better than fresh stuff from your own garden.

PS: if this is really a new house, didn't the builder put in a lawn?