Old 05-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default New Allotment - Any advice welcome

The message
from "Kim Bewick" contains these words:

Well I've finally gone and got myself an allotment (125 sq meters) but
haven't got a clue what I should really be doing at this time of year.
It's fairly weed free thank goodness and was treated with Round-Up last
autumn (will this affect anything I may want to plant)?

No. To be effective, Roundup (glyphosate) has to be sprayed on to the
green parts of a plant. Contact with soil bonds it into some sort of
very stable chemical triangle, so you can forget about it.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm in Cardiff, where it's fairly mild
compered with other parts of the UK at the minute.

Firstly, I'd decide what I'd like to grow, then go to somewhere which
sells the seeds, and read the destructions on the packets.

Having decided on which ones you want to grow (They should give you a
giude about when to plant, and how).

When you've decided, let us know - there are some wrinkles about soil
types, and which vegetables like fertilisers and which like them too
much for their own good.....

......or to be more accurate, for your good.

Runner beans are easy and prolific, as are marrows, courgettes, etc, but
remember, some crops may overshadow your plot if you don't think before
planting. Then there are your neighbours' plots.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/