Old 06-03-2004, 12:00 AM
tmtresh

Default Turning fish into fertilizer

"DavidPT40" wrote in message
news:X462c.49689$ko6.395619@attbi_s02...
The Native Fish Conservation is participating in a carp fishing event in
Texas. The purpose of this event is to remove invasive carp from the

waters
of Texas. An estimated two tons of carp are going to be removed from the
waters. However, organizers do not know what to do with all these dead
fish. Does anyone here know how to turn fish into a safe organic
fertilizer?

I actually find your question amusing. Not because it's a funny question,
but because it brings back memories. About twenty years ago, my older
brother (who was in his early twenties at the time) got this idea. He took
his little toyota pickup truck to the local reservoir, and proceeded to fill
it up with carp. He brought them home, and borrowing a neighbor's
chipper/shredder, proceeded to chip them directly into the garden. It made
quite a mess, and he was constantly rinsing the shredder off to keep it from
gumming up. He then tilled it into the garden. We had to watch out for bones
as we weeded for the next couple of years.