Old 06-03-2004, 12:45 AM
tmtresh

Default I am New.

do you think aerating it would help as well?

I've never heard of aerating sod. It should have had loose soil underneath,
with plenty of room for air particles, so I wouldn't.

Is there a need to fertilize sod? I have never dealt with it before thanks.

Fertilize sod, once it's established, just like any other grass. Don't
fertilize until it's established, though, because the fertilizer doesn't
actually help the roots as much as it makes the tops grow. Just water deeply
and infrequently.

As for me, I don't use commercial fertilizers at all. I use a mulching mower
to return nutrients to the lawn, and every once in a while, apply a layer of
compost. Not so much to cover the tops of the grass, but enough to give it a
little extra food. It eventually works its way down into the soil. Also, if
you mow high, you should have less weeds, because the grass will block out
the light.

I know a lot of people on this newsgroup are against growing a lawn, but I
have kids, too. I want a safe place for them to play, so I grow grass.