Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 AM
john

Default waterlilies and their pots

and i use dish pans

John Rutz

~ Windsong ~ wrote:
"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
suggestions

I use 18-inch diameter 7-inch deep plastic pots from Home Depot.
No holes.

## Ok, this is what I was asking - do the hardy lilies thrive in a solid pot
or perhaps one with only one bottom hole. I wasn't sure if their roots
needed more water circulation than a solid wall pot allowed. I can look for
these pots at my Home Depot here in TN. I already have a few I used as
planters for the porch last summer. :-)

I've heard that hardy lilies want large diameter shallow

pots. Last season I used the Schultz Aquatic soil - it's like a
ceramic and is perfectly clean. I'm getting ready to re-pot now and
will be using a mix of that, composted steer manure, and a little 'Koi
Clay'.

## What is koi clay? Our native clay grows beautiful water lilies. I add
some rose fertilizer sticks and Ironite to the potting soil (clean clay from
our own land). I try and do them every year because they grow so rapidly.
I hope to take new pics for my website this coming summer, now that I have a
digital camera and better photo processing software.

Clay soil seems to be popular, but I don't have access to

any. I tried aKwatik fertilizers last year but found they clogged too
easily. Making my own this year.

## What clogged too easily? Your filter????

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California