Old 06-03-2004, 04:30 AM
Peter Jason

Default Plant tissue cloning?

"David Hershey" wrote in message
om...
"Peter Jason" wrote in message

Tissue culture at home is challenging because unless you have
thousands of dollars to spend, you have to make do without a laminar
flow hood or build one yourself. You can substitute a pressure cooker
for an autoclave to sterilize media and glassware.

Could equipment be sterilized in a normal microwave oven?

You can't microwave metal instruments. You cannot get water above
boiling in a microwave. Everything I have ever seen or read on plant
tissue culture says you need a pressure cooker to sterilize water,
media, etc.

Here's more webpages on home tissue cultu

http://www.une.edu.au/~agronomy/AgSSrHortTCinfo.html

http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/tc/tc.htm

http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/Index.htm

Thanks for these pages - which are rather wonderful.
My interest is grafting to produce chimeras, and possibly I can use tissue
culture for this by microtoming slices of stock and scion, layering the
slices, and developing them on media.
Are there specific dyes for staining types of cells in a plant cross
section?