Old 06-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Franz Heymann

Default citrus questions

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:09:02 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

I wonder if the OP's trees were deliberately budded or (unlikely?)

grafted
high up specifically to make specimen standards.

Hi. I was the OP. I do not think they were grafted anymore because
there is not a bulge like there is on say, an apple tree, which
grafted. Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this, what is budding?

Prune the stock (The plant whose roots you want to utilise) right off.
Usually 1" or so above the ground in the case of a rose, and about 6" in

the
case of a citrus plant. Slice off a few healthy growing buds

Growth buds, not growing buds, idiot.

from the
desired plant, including a heel. Make "T" incisions in the bark of the
stock, gently peel back the bark and insert the bud. Repeat for as many
buds as you want to put in, and bandage the wound with raffia or

suchlike.
Make sure there are no growth buds of the stock left below the point at
which the desired buds were inserted.

In the case of roses, I have never discovered any horticultural reason for
budding, except that it means that on a commercial scale, you can produce

large number off budded plants from one mother plant. I have always had
reasonable success in propagating my roses from cuttings. This might mean

longer waiting time for first flowering, but it has the advantage that the
plants are on their own roots and there is no bother with unwanted growth
from below a bud or graft.

Franz