Old 06-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Garden lighting (cross posted)

The message
from (N. Thornton) contains these words:

Well, some good qs. Firstly light pollution: its a relevant but
overused term. Sending light up into the sky is wasteful, but
'pollution' is really a misnomer. If vast amounts of light are sent
upwards, it reduces visibility a bit for astronomers. Hardly what one
would seriously call pollution, but waste.

I'd call it pollution. Waste as well, but the main objection is the
local (and when a lot of people carelessly beam light upwards, general)
masking of the sky at night.

IMO a very selfish and inconsiderate way to act. It doesn't reduce
visibility 'a bit', but has caused observatories to pack their bags and
move.

I had an eleven-year-old staying with me in rural Norfolk some years
ago. He came from Greater London, and had NEVER seen the stars. His
wonder at the firmament was magical.

The prime way to do this is to put uplighters under tree canopies.
With full canopies there will be almost no light escape upwards, with
thin canopies there will be some, but frankly its all fairly trivial.

It depends where your neighbours are, and whether they are
inconvenienced by it when you make judgements on whether it's trivial or
not.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/