Old 06-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Shiva

Default roses that smell like roses

TC2 wrote:

I'm not much of a gardener but I would love to occasionally get my
girlfriend roses that smell like roses should. Is there a type I could ask
the florist to order?

Tom,

Unfortunately, florist roses rarely have a detectable scent, at least
to me. I suppose perhaps the genes for scent are not usually present
along with those for long vase life, long stems, and "perfect" hybrid
tea rose form? I don't know why, but I do know that I have not received
florist roses that had any scent in my life.

Or is there a mail-order garden shop who could ship a
potted rose plant of a type that smells like they should?

There are lovely garden roses that have great scent--tons of them.
They belong outside, though. Is she much of a gardener, or are you?
Is her climate good for roses? (Translation, where is she?) If she has
lots of full sun where she lives and a place for a small rose garden,
a lovely thing to do would be to plant some (or hire someone to) nice
rose plants so that she can cut the fragrant flowers whenever she likes.

Depending on where you are and what colors, form, etc you like we can
all make recommendations. The problem is, not many roses do well in
every place. Give us a few more details and perhaps we can help.

I do NOT know of any potted rose meant for inside growing that has any scent.
Those little Harry and David type minis are cute but have no scent and
must be put outside after a few weeks or they die.