Old 06-03-2004, 01:50 PM

Default I am New.

I cheated and read the threads before I posted this.

If you are in base housing, check with the housing office and see what
they will allow. Drive around and see what others have done in your
area. If your base has a "Self Help Store" (again ask at housing or
other people that have been there a while), grass seed, bedding
plants, perrenial plants, supplies, equipment, etc may be available at
no charge for people in base quarters. The plants limited quantities
for your spring planting needs, tools and equipment on an "as
available basis".

Many areas have county extension offices that can answer agricultural
questions for your area regarding best suited plants, plant pests and
diseases and treatments. Check the government pages in your telephone
directory for listings. Usually if you are directed to the right
office, they are very helpful. The same with ag departments at some
of the local colleges and universities, one poster specified "Land
Grant" colleges.

If your yard was sodded, even sloppily, after it starts growing, the
sod will fill in the bare spots. Many types of grass further south
are not sodded in a solid carpet, but plugged at intervals that grow
and spread to the bare spots.

As suggested by other posters, rake and remove the largest rocks, also
remove construction debris. A dead patch in the yard later could
indicate the presence of nails or shingles. In that case you can pin
point the offending material and remove it.

Hopefully, you will have a few years at your new assignment to do and
enjoy your yard before transferred.

Best wishes,
Nancy G. USA (retired)

"Tiffany Bastian" wrote in message ...
Hello Everyone,
I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into a
new home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just
renovated. We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot
figure out where we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have such
a large blank canvas. I am curious what you all know about lawns too, We
have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard. I know we
need to get most the rocks out before we seed but any other good ideas?
Also, we are trying to figure out what plants grow good in this climate
since we just moved here.
Thanks for all your help!
Tiffany B