Old 06-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Frogleg

Default planting forsythia bushes

On 3 Mar 2004 15:48:32 -0800, (mike) wrote:

Hi all....I live in southern New Jersey...and wanted to know about
planting forsythia bushes. Just wondering a good time of year (early
spring maybe?) to plant them...and how many feet away from a stockade
fence?? And how far apart?

When to plant? Ask at your garden center or check with your local
extension agent. (Early spring is ideal, but I believe you could plant
them on an ice floe and have them fluorish.) Usually, when they're
available for sale, it's quite close to planting time.

How far apart? Depends on what you want them to do. Unpruned, they
will easily grow 6-10' canes. Which, if allowed to touch the ground,
will eventually generate a Forsythia jungle -- they root in an
instant. If regularly pruned, they can be maintained as smaller
'bushes' indefinitely.