Old 06-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Ross Reid

Default pomegranite seeds

"Loki" wrote:

I bought a pomegranite and was wondering if anyone has had any
experience growing a plant from the seed? I have a dwarf tree
already, but the fruit are miniscule. This shop one is like a cricket
ball, not a pingpong ball.

Loki,

My wife seems to have a compulsion to try to grow almost everything
from seeds out of the produce we eat. Last year she planted
pomegranate seeds and they did quite well. I just checked with her now
and she said she simply planted the seeds just as they came from the
fruit, pulp and all. After the plants were a decent size she
transplanted them outside but she hasn't checked yet this year to see
if they survived. Probably not, as we've had quite a cold winter and
it's not over yet.
BTW, I see by your headers that you're in NZ and wonder, have you ever
used seeds from King's Seeds there in NZ? They carry many heirloom
varieties. It may seem strange but, even though we live half a world
away in Canada we buy quite a few of our seeds from Kings. We order
them through Wally Richards, Palmerston North, at
http://www.gardenews.co.nz/
We've had good luck with their seeds, we get great service plus, they
carry some seeds that we've been unable to obtain locally.
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º19' North