Old 06-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Extending Water to Pond

Mike,

Don't know how big your pond is, but I would recommend running a larger line
and using something like a toilet valve (Floating cylinder on post) as an
auto level device. Ours sticks out of a tupperware contained filled with
rocks. The koi haven't bothered it and we never worry about topping up the
pond. It works fine on the regular household PVC, 1/2". I would be
skittish, however, of running water and that kind of elec. in the same pipe.
The pvc will do fine on its own underground. Ours runs under our deck, up
against the beams.

Good luck.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:05:55 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

Right now, when I want to fill the pond, I drag a hose out from the

house.
If I wanted to put a spigot out back by the pond, what would be the best
material to use? Can I bury it in the same trench that I am using for an
electrical conduit?

I buried a 1.5" flexible (theoretically!) pipe from the house to the
pond and ran 1/2" electrical conduit in the same trench under it.

Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I plan to run 1/4" tubing (like
that used for refrigerator icemakers) inside the 1.5" line for water.
Since flow volume isn't a big deal for topping up, I think this will
be OK. Still have lots of space to run other low-current wiring & such
through the 1.5" pipe if I want to.

My thought was that since I went to the trouble to dig a trench, I
might as well set it up so I wouldn't be likely to need to dig it
again.

Just a thought.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.