Old 06-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Steve

Default saving corn seed

Loki wrote:
...................I have plain yellow corn that I'm trying
to maintain, as I don't want that sweet yellow and white one. My
neighbour's corn is all dead and brown while mine are still growing,
so hopefully the pollen times didn't match...........

One thing you can do, if you suspect cross pollination may have
occurred, is look closely at the seed before you shell it off the
cob. If you see any that are a different color, kick them out. Even
pollination by another yellow corn might be visible as slightly
darker or lighter seeds.
By the way, do you live in Tasmania or something? Just trying to
figure out where the season is that short in the southern
hemisphere. ;-)

Steve