Old 06-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Small lodger in the compost bin...

In article ,
FF wrote:
Twice this week, the husband has seen a rat in the compost bin. When I checked there
was no sign, no holes in or around the bin, the lid's on, the little slidy door's
closed.

What should I do? Turn the compost and turf ratty out? Get rid of the compost? How
did he get in there in the first place! We've never put any of the banned things in
there, just peelings and garden waste really.

All the old wive's tales about a strong association between certain
items on the heap and rats are complete hogwash. As a ratcatcher
said to me, they are attracted by the warmth, protection and worms.
I compost everything (including turkey carcases) and there is NO
correlation between when I do so and when rats invade.

Turning the heap over will often discourage them. Other than that,
you must call in a professional (or someone with ferrets). Our
Lords and Masters have now decided that we can't be trusted with
effective rodenticides, so don't waste your money and time buying
them in garden centres.

Of course, if you can set yourself up or pass yourself off as a
Suitable Person, you can buy the stuff by the hundredweight with
very little ado ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.