Old 06-03-2004, 06:33 PM
simy1

Default planting forsythia bushes

(mike) wrote in message . com...
Hi all....I live in southern New Jersey...and wanted to know about
planting forsythia bushes. Just wondering a good time of year (early
spring maybe?) to plant them...and how many feet away from a stockade
fence?? And how far apart?
Any information will be great...thanks.

First, you do not really have to plant storebought bushes. You just
take cuttings from an existing plant (best in the fall, but right now
is fine too, so they can get a couple months of rainy weather) and
stick them into the ground, perhaps two or three per site if you want
to be absolutely sure one will take. Forsythia is the easiest shrub to
propagate. How big will they grow/how fast will depend on pruning and
the amount of sunlight they receive. I would not use them as the main
plant for a fencerow, but perhaps mixed, with some groundcover under.